Welcome to J.W. Mitchell’s Academy for the Medical Arts! The Academy staff is looking forward to working with our many community health-care partners, our students, and our faculty in making this Academy successful! We welcome your ideas and feedback as we start this journey.
- Collaborative partnerships among educators, parents, businesses, and other community resources that broaden learning opportunities
- Opportunities which will reflect the diverse areas of Health Occupations
- In providing a rewarding & rigorous curriculum
- To small, supportive learning environments that are personalized & inclusive to all students
- In promoting healthy lifestyle choices
- Respect for all people and patients involved in the many aspects of Health Careers/Occupations
- Embracing cultural diversity in the population of the people who we serve
The Goals/Purpose of the Academy:
- To Prepare the students with the skills and knowledge needed for success in the workplace and/or post-secondary education
- To develop and reinforce the academic skills necessary to help raise student achievement on high-stake tests
- To focus curriculum planning & professional development on academic standards and essential skills required by the real world
- To incorporate student organizations, such as HOSA, with the academy for the development of leadership skills, personal growth and career successes.
- To work as a team to overcome any barriers between traditional academic classes and other elective classes
What Makes Our Academy Different from a Learning Community?
- With the smaller size of the Academy , we create a “school within a school“ , family-like atmoshphere
- We have many partnerships with businesses and community organizations
- Our Academy focuses on career choices & career themes
- We have an integrated curriculum
- The Academy has business mentors for the students
- The students will have opportunities for internships and externships
- We will help students learn valuable leadership & teamwork skills
Research has shown that Academy Benefits are:
- Higher attendance rates of students
- Lower Drop out rates
- Higher self-esteem and satisfaction with school
- Lower discipline problems & school violence
- Higher academic standards and sense of connection with teachers, other students, and school programs
- Decreased sense of student apathy, isolation & alienation
- Increased ability to enage all levels of students
- Supportive of the needs of the community
The Vision of the Academy of the Medical Arts is to prepare students for employment in entry-level medical careers as well as providing the additional knowledge & skills needed for higher level schooling for medical careers .
Is A Health Career for you?
- Do you enjoy working with people?
- Do you like fast-paced jobs?
- Do you like working with advanced technology?
- Do you like hands-on learning?
- Do you enjoy challenges?
Paperwork and Resources:
Academy for the Medical Arts Application – Download Here!
Expectations Form – Download Here!
Community Service Form – Download Here!
Shadowing Follow-Up Form – Download Here!